24 January 2011

Bleez Costume Boots [in progress]: Heels & Alternate Method Bootcovers

Currently I'm working on a Bleez costume. I don't plan on wearing it until a summer con though.
Bleez is a Red Lantern.. she's angry, sexy, mostly really angry. She appeals to me because her design looks like Devilman, and her backstory is pretty interesting (although rough).





So this is ~in progress~ but I want to get some up now & post the rest later.
This post is a followup to the boot cover tutorial, as a method of making boots with no seam down the center and to show a technique for modifying the base shoes.




To save money, I am repurposing old costume shoes that have been in my garage for a while. The heel on those shoes does not look accurate to Bleez's design. To modify them, I just need a little vinyl, foam, and hot glue.



I traced the heels onto some paper and cut a draft out of foam for the modifications. Then, I placed the foam over the heel to check the fit. The first draft wasn't quite right, so I fixed it and cut two final pieces.



Then I cut out pieces of vinyl slightly larger than the foam pieces, snipped the edges, and glued them over to the back to wrap the foam tightly.
After that, you just glue it onto the shoe.



Here they are.. almost done. I left the edge up at the top so there won't be any gaps when I glue on the bootcovers.

This is a pretty simple thing.. but you can do a lot more with the concept. You could make the shoe into a faux-wedge or do some really crazy shapes or heel cut-outs! It gives you more options to find comfortable shoes rather than lookiing for a specific style.


Now, to the rest of the bootcover.
The tutorial I posted before only covers bootcovers with a seam down the front. But you can use the exact same method for making bootcovers with seams down the side instead!

Here are some photos of the process:


You start out draping the same way.
In this case I am pinning two pieces together (front & back) because Bleez is drawn that way (when they care to give her detail, i.e. cover art), but you could do this in one piece, with just a seam down the back.



Here is a close up shot at the toe, where I have labeled "Left Inside".



The next step is to unpin and trace this onto pattern paper.



Here I played around with the shape & my own measurements to clean up the pattern and ensure a good fit. I also want the pieces to be symmetrical from the ankle up.
I also marked where the zippers will go on the inside of the ankle.


After that you would cut out the pieces, sew them together, and glue the covers to the shoe... buuut I'm not finished this pair just yet so I don't have an end-result photo for you.
Will update this soon!

7 comments:

  1. hello, the shoes look stunning! I much appreciate the tutorials for bootcovers and you explain this so good even a beginner like myself feel that I can give it a chance! ;D

    I do have one question I would love to get an answer to if possible. I am planing on doing a Young justice Robin cosplay and I must ask what kind of fabric would you recommend? I would like for it to look a bit like PVC but not too shiny. is this possible with spandex?

    Hope your studies get along fine, have a pleasant trip and I look forward to see your finished costumes :D

    Kind regards,
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kirk sorry I am very slow to reply to comments! You can get 4-way stretch fabrics at spandexhouse.com they have a really big variety of finishes, you can most likely find something that works. I really like matte milliskin and wet-look spandex the best.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, this looks amazing. You pay so much attention to detail! Did you finish your costume yet? Pictures please! Probably beyond amazing, as your other costumes. Hope to see em up, and thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aha, that's a great idea....!!!!

    thank for boot tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  5. What would you recommend on making these?>>>
    http://www.mycosplaytoshokan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-Shot-2013-09-15-at-7.43.13-PM-1.jpg

    Should I use a vinyl type fabric, most other cosplayers do for her but then wouldn't that be much harder to make, or do you have any tips on using a fabric that doesn't give at all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used one of your tutorials for boot covers for a con last year and ran into some problems when it came to draping and pinning the fabric. Do you have any suggestions to make the pinning process easier?

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks! this is amazingly easy where I thought it was going to be like going through 5 stages of hell than the deepest darkest parts of the universe and then swimming through shark-infested waters multiplied by 6. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete